Conditions for obtaining Saudi nationality
Earlier, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia announced some amendments to the Saudi Arabian nationality system, so that some articles were amended that enable certain groups of society, according to special conditions, to submit an application for naturalization in Saudi Arabia and obtain approval for it. What are the conditions for obtaining Saudi nationality? Follow this article with us to know all the details.
Naturalization of those born in Saudi Arabia
According to the recent amendments to the Saudi Arabian nationality system, it became possible to naturalize newborns in Saudi Arabia if they were born inside or outside the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to a Saudi father or a Saudi mother.
In addition, newborns in Saudi Arabia are naturalized if they are born to a father of unknown nationality or who has no nationality, or were born inside the Kingdom to unknown parents, and a foundling in the Kingdom is considered born there unless proven otherwise.
Conditions for obtaining Saudi nationality (a foreign father and a Saudi mother)
The article on the conditions for granting Saudi nationality was amended by a royal decree and by a decision of the Minister of Interior to those born in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia from a “foreign father and a Saudi mother.” This category has the possibility of obtaining Saudi nationality if they meet the following conditions:
- To have the status of permanent residence in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia upon reaching the age of majority.
- He must be of good conduct and behavior, and has not been sentenced to a criminal judgment or a prison sentence for a moral crime for a period exceeding six months.
- One of the conditions for Saudi nationality is that he is fluent in the Arabic language.
- To submit, within the year following reaching the age of majority, an application to be granted the Saudi Arabian nationality.
Conditions for obtaining Saudi nationality for a foreigner
The amendments also affected the conditions for obtaining Saudi nationality for foreigners in Article No. 9. The conditions for granting Saudi nationality to a foreigner were amended and approved as follows:
- To have - upon submitting the Saudi Arabian nationality application - have reached the age of majority, and have acquired residency status for a period of not less than ten consecutive years.
- To be healthy in mind and body.
- He must be of good conduct and behaviour, and must not have been sentenced to imprisonment for a moral crime for a period exceeding six months.
- One of the conditions for naturalization in Saudi Arabia is that the applicant be one of the professions that the country needs, and this condition is excluded from those born in the Kingdom to a foreign mother and an unknown father.
- Also, one of the conditions for Saudi nationality is that the applicant proves that he earns money through legal means.
- Proficiency in spoken, reading and writing Arabic.
- The applicant for naturalization shall accompany his application for a residence permit and his passport, or any document prepared by the competent authorities that lists the passport, and every document related to the nationality from which he is stripped, and every paper supporting what is required to be proven under the provisions of this system.
It is worth mentioning about the conditions for obtaining Saudi nationality for a foreigner, as stated in Article No.
10 of the Saudi Arabian Nationality Law, which is as follows:
“The Saudi Arabian nationality shall be granted by the Prime Minister based on the proposal of the Minister of Interior, and the Minister of Interior in all cases and without giving reasons shall have the right to refuse to approve the granting of Saudi Arabian nationality to a foreigner who fulfills the conditions stipulated in Article 9 prior to submitting the aforementioned proposal.”